Saturday, March 31, 2012

Critique Plus Faith Equals What?

I recently participated in a vocal competition in where I infused  two styles of music I enjoy the most; jazz and Gospel. Now merging two obviously different but similar styles together is not a new concept. It has been done very well by various artist such as Kim Burrell, Ledisi, and Jill Scott to name a few. However, this is not what most people consider mainstream music. Taking elements of jazz such as scatting and adding lyrics from the Holy Scriptures is not new.

So back to the competition. As I threw myself, my emotions, and my soul into the song I preselected to sing, I was asked to stop midway. It was later explained that my style of vibrant execution of rhythms and syncopation wasn't clear to the listener. It was also stated that my execution of the song was not convincing. After all, I WAS singing about Heaven. That would provoke a smile on most faces right? Well, after much thought and prayer, I was convinced that people in general critique what they do not understand. Verbalizing  thoughts to formulate an opinion of something you do not comprehend truly displays ignorance.

A current example of this would be facebook. There are those who make excuses why they don't utilize these modern social avenues. They say it's complicated, invasive, impersonal, and the list goes on and on. So I wonder, with the criticism pouring in for an unfavorable vote for facebook; will that diminish the confidence in this modern technology with those who are current users? Do we stop using these tools in which we have come to enjoy and use daily; sometimes hourly due to those foolish thoughts? The answer is no. The same answer would apply to the notion that I would cease using the marriage of jazz and Gospel together to proclaim Jesus to those who don't know Him. Regardless if the critique was unfavorable, my faith is indeed increased. It fuels me even more to go out into the world to decrease the ignorance to the vast faces of Gospel music. Some of the many variations of Gospel music is Country Gospel and Contemporary Gospel! How exciting to know that Gospel music can't be boxed in by hearing or receiving it one way. It reminds me of the hymn- "Lift Him Up" where it says "How to reach the masses, men of every birth.... (God says,) If I be lifted up, I'll draw all men unto me. Lift the Savior up." That is exactly what we all should... do by any means necessary... lift Jesus up to glorify Him.

Although this competition will be a distant memory soon, the thought of knowing that this competition has no bearing or contribution to my success in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ through a jazzy style, that thought will last forever! So I encourage you all to take on critics and allow those opportunities to increase your faith in God. Those misunderstood critiques coupled with your strong faith in God will provide a chance to draw more men to God! 

Scripture Reading: Job 11:7-8 (The Message Version)
God is far higher than you can imagine, far deeper than you can comprehend.

-Faithfully yours,

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment